The camp is located at the Gates Group Campground in the French Meadows area of the Tahoe National Forest in California. At Auburn (north and east of Sacramento), take the Foresthill exit (#121) from I-80 and drive to Foresthill (16 miles). It is necessary to fill up with gas in either Auburn (usually cheaper) or Foresthill. As you enter Foresthill, turn right onto Mosquito Ridge Road 96; the sign posted reads "French Meadows - 36 miles". This takes you onto a long, winding mountain road.
Once you reach the reservoir, drive across the levee. Turn left toward the group campgrounds. Approximately 3.6 miles from the levee (after passing a boat ramp and the French Meadows campground), turn right on Road 68. (If you encounter the Coyote Campground, you've gone past the turn.) After approximately 0.5 miles up the hill, turn to the left and drive another 0.5 miles into the campground.
Registration is under the big canopy. Note that there are restrictions on where we can camp; upon arrival, ask a staff member before choosing a campsite to avoid having to move later.
The nearest airport is Sacramento International Airport (SMF). If you are arriving by plane, your options are to rent a car, to combine with others in renting a car, or signing up for ride sharing (scroll down for list). The best time to arrive for getting a ride is by 1:00 pm on Friday, July 3.
If you are traveling by bus or train, your options are to rent a car, to combine with others in renting a car, or signing up for ride sharing (scroll down for list).
If you are driving to camp and are willing to take passengers, let us know the number of passengers you can take and the route you will be taking. We ask riders to help pay travel costs. See the list below.
We also need to know your preference for connecting with passengers:
- give your phone number to prospective riders, for them to contact you.
- give the phone numbers of prospective riders to you, for you to contact them.
We do not give out your contact information unless we receive written (or verbal) authorization from you in advance.
Rides to and from Camp
Listed below are people seeking rides to and from the 2015 French Meadows Summer Camp.
Dates of camp: Saturday, July 4, 2015 to Sunday, July 12, 2015 (early arrival date of Friday, July 3 after 1:00 pm.)
We do not post contact information directly on the ride board.
When submitting an entry, let us know where you need a ride from and the dates Also indicate your preference for one of the following:
- provide my contact information to people who inquire, so they may contact me directly
- do not provide my contact information. If anyone inquires, we will pass on their contact information to you (if they OK us to provide it), so you can contact them.
If you find a ride, please notify us so we can remove your listing.
Seeking Rides to Camp
1. One adult from Sacramento Airport (SMF) on Friday (7/3) about 5:30 pm [OR Saturday (7/4) am].
2. One adult from Denver OR the Sacramento Airport (SMF) anytime before camp.
3. One adult from San Francisco Bay Area on Friday (7/3) or Saturday (7/4).
4. Two adults from Sacramento Airport (SMF) on Saturday (7/4) about 12:30 pm.
Offering Rides to Camp
Seeking Rides from Camp
1. One adult return to Sacramento Airport (SMF) or Denver on Sunday 7/12, morning.
2. Two adults return to Sacramento Airport (SMF) on Sunday 7/12 about 8:30 am.